Sunday, May 1, 2011

Initial Reactions to the First Two Episodes of Faling Skies

I recently received the Falling Skies press kit in the mail. I have had the privilege of watching the two part series opener that will air June 19, 9 pm - 11 pm, and the following episode that will air June 26, from 10 pm - 11 pm (the regular time slot).

I thoroughly enjoyed these first three hours of the show.  I have watched many sci-fi shows and movies and I feel this version of an alien apocalypse is off to a great start and is thus far better than most others in the genre.  In many ways the story is a familiar one; however the team behind Falling Skies has done some amazing things.  This is definitely a different take on the similar story line that you have probably seen elsewhere. There are some twist and turns through this first part of the series.

There are some unanswered questions from the beginning, but we are given most of what we need to know about the events leading up to then series with the opening voice over.

The acting is top notch, even from the child actors.  I think one of the most important aspects of these episodes is that I felt a connection to these characters early on.  The characters are fleshed out, they feel like real people which makes the various dangers they face have added tension.

This show has the look and feel of a major motion picture.  The CGI looks really sharp for a TV show, but is not over used.  The score adds depth to the stunning visuals.

If you are a scI-fi fan or not, I think that you should check out this series.  Many non-horror fans were rewarded with great television by watching the Walking Dead, and I think the same will be true of Falling Skies.  This story takes place during the alien invasion of the earth, but it's really about the characters and their story of survival, much like the Walking Dead.

One small thing that reminded me of the Walking Dead is that different people have different names for the aliens, much like different people had different names for the zombies (walkers and geeks).

I know this article is broad without much details about the storyline. I was instructed in the press kit to be sure not to spoil any of the surprises of the show due to the mysterious nature of Falling Skies. On my site and in my podcasts, I will not seek to spoil anyone on these episodes or for future episodes.  I will post episode titles and official descriptions in the Falling Skies Episode Guide and report them in the podcasts under a spoiler warning, and that will be the extent of any such information.

Thanks,
Jimmy in GA
Call in at (773) 35SKIES
email at fallingskiescast@gmail.com
Follow on twitter.com/theFallingSkies

No comments:

Post a Comment